The first military raid carried out under Trump, two Americans killed in Yemen. Nawar al-Awlaki is second of Anwar al-Awlaki’s children to be killed by U.S. forces.
“A Saudi frigate on patrol west of Hodeidah port came under attack from suicide boats belonging to Houthi militias,” Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen said in a statement on SPA.
The Yemeni detainees were identified as Mohammed Rajab Sadiq Abu Ghanem, Salem Ahmed Hadi bin Kanad, Abdullah Yehya Yousef al-Shibli and Mohammed Bawazir.
Despite strenuous denials, UK-made cluster bombs are indeed being used by Britain’s theocratic ally Saudi Arabia in its war on impoverished Yemen.
Yemen Prime Minister of the rebel Houthi says, “They sold cluster bombs to Saudi Arabia. They know the Saudis are going to drop them on Yemen.”
A truce aimed at ending more than a year of war in Yemen began on Saturday, although residents said fighting was still going on in parts of the country.
Mohammed al-Bukhaiti, a member of the political council of Houthi’s Ansarullah group, said Saudi Arabia had also agreed to end its involvement in the war.
Hadi fled the armed advance of the Iranian-allied Houthi movement in March 2015 and has been a guest of neighbouring Saudi Arabia ever since.
Saudi-backed government forces and Iran-allied Houthis in Yemen accused each other of violating a ceasefire as United Nations tried to extend 3-day truce.
Omani Foreign Minister Yousef bin Alwi said: “No weapons have crossed our border and we are ready to clarify any suspicions if they arise.”
U.N. Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said the cessation of hostilities would begin at 2359 local time (2059 GMT) and could be renewed.
The United States and Britain, which have both supported the Saudi-led campaign.
Rep. Ted Lieu, a California Democrat, wrote to Secretary of State John Kerry, saying the coalition had conducted more than 70 unlawful airstrikes in Yemen.
Obama administration sold $1.3 billion arms to Saudi Arabia last year despite warnings from officials that United States could be implicated in war crimes.
A “horrified and extremely disturbed” UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Stephen O’Brien called for probe.
Yemen and Saudi Arabia blame Shi’ite Iran for supplying weapons to the Houthis.
The Yemen conflict has killed more than 10,000 people, according to the United Nations, and displaced more than three million people.
The Yemen war has killed more than 6,500 people and displaced some 3 million. Saudi Arabia has launched thousands of air strikes on the country.
The plan offers Houthi rebels and their allies participation in a unity government but demands their withdrawal from Sanaa and other key areas, as well as surrendering heavy weapons to a third party.
Children make up a third of the 3,799 civilians killed in Yemen since the coalition campaign began in March 2015.